Magnesium is an important mineral that is required by almost all enzymatic and metabolic reactions that occur in the body and is stored mainly in the skeletal system. An average human consists of about 25 grams of this element with 40% of this element being present in fluids within the body, soft tissues and muscles.
Without daily magnesium intake, an average human hampers their body’s natural ability to regulate heartbeats, most functions involving neurotransmitters, nerve impulse transmission, proper functioning of enzymes, fatty acid production etc. Therefore, it is important to not only recognize the symptoms of deficiency when they first appear but to also take magnesium supplements before a problem can manifest itself. Prevention is definitely better than a cure!
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency
To understand why the body needs magnesium supplements, it is important to know that the deficiency of magnesium can have severe side effects on your physical development and growth. Hypomagnesaemia better known as magnesium deficiency has a variety of adverse symptoms which will alert you so you can start taking those supplements regularly. The following are some warning signs:
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS).
- Worsened mood swings or any other disorders that alter/magnify certain behaviors.
- Recurrent infections due to low immunity.
- Cavities in teeth.
- Weak muscles
- Frequent cramps.
- Amplified pain/cramps during PMS.
- Many cardiovascular diseases.
In case you have been experiencing any of the above and if these symptoms have been recurring frequently, then it is high time that you start your daily intake of magnesium supplements right away. Read on to find out the benefits of taking magnesium supplements on a daily basis.
Benefits of magnesium supplements
Read on to find out the benefits of taking magnesium supplements on a daily basis. Since these supplements can interfere with different drugs, it is recommended that you consult your physician before taking supplements.
Helps strengthen your bones
Magnesium helps improve bone health in the following ways:
- Vital for formation of bones since it accumulates calcium and is necessary for activating vitamin D inside the kidneys.
- The required magnesium intake is linked to higher bone density, lower chances of being affected by osteoporosis and improved crystal formation of bones.
- Without magnesium, calcium cannot be properly absorbed or metabolized.
Helps lower the risk and impact of diabetes
Magnesium is vital for the metabolism of carbohydrates, more specifically, glucose which greatly lowers the probability of diabetes.
- Chances of developing diabetes type 2 are lowered by 15% with every 100mg increase in intake per day.
- Insulin sensitivity and secretion are improved.
- Low magnesium levels interfere with the types of bacteria that are present in your gut which has a significant effect on anxiety-based reactions.
- Low magnesium also alters activity in the HPA (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal) glands which control stress-based reactions.
- Necessary for the GABA inhibitor to function which produces hormones such as serotonin. Serotonin relaxes the brain and promotes relaxation.
Helps provide relief from migraines
- Magnesium is necessary for neurotransmitter functions and circulation of blood around the body and can control pain from headaches and migraines by inducing release of hormones that reduce pain and raise blood pressure.
Increases energy within the body
- Activates ATP which is responsible for regulating the levels of energy in your body.
Other important benefits of magnesium supplements
- Helps reduce insomnia, stress and sleeplessness.
- Relieves constipation and other digestive ailments.
- Provides relief from aches and spasms in muscles.
- Prevents risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Relieves of painful PMS symptoms.
Do a favour to your mind, heart and bones by beginning your daily intake of magnesium supplements now and enjoy a full, healthy living free of stress and disease!